Glossop and District Golf Club was founded in October 1894

After the official opening of the Glossop Club on 4th May 1895, the scarcity of extensive tracts of land, and the difficulty in negotiating with their occupiers compelled the Club to be content with a six holes course.The principal founders of the Club, Samuel Hill Wood & Oswald Partington (Liberal MP), both born in 1872, along with Cyril Ellison & C Ward, formed the club. Samual Hill Wood was a Conservative MP for the High Peak, captained Derbyshire at Cricket and made financial guarantees that enabled Glossop North End to join the Football League.

Woodcock Farm, on which the Club stands, was historically known as Cold Harbour, and anyone who has experienced a winter blizzard on the course will confirm the truth and suitability of that title. But in spring and early summer, it is a most attractive site for a Golf Club, with idyllic views all around and the hills of the Peak District providing a dramatic and constantly changing backdrop. The Club took up residence in its first headquarters, “The Royal Oak Hotel”, on Sheffield Road. Here, teas were served and two rooms were rented which contained the first set of lockers. The 1st Tee was across the road opposite the hotel door.
C.A. Abrahams, one of the first playing members and the Estate Agent to Lord Howard, organised the lease for the land. Abrahams is the Club’s longest serving Captain (5 years). In 1899 he donated the Abraham Cup which is the oldest club trophy. In 1902 the Club left its first headquarters at the “Royal Oak” moving into Woodcock Farmhouse. This was the year that the course was re-designed by George Lowe of Lytham St.Anne’s. The Club really began to take shape with the building of the first purpose built clubhouse in 1904. In 1904 the male membership cost £6 and Ladies paid £2 per annum.

In 1905 many changes took place. The Committee became the Council and a House Committee was formed. The Club registered for the sale of drinks. Whiting, the groundsman, had his salary raised from £1 to £1 0s 10d, and the entrance fee was raised from one guinea to two. In 1906 it was decided

that there would be two classes of a caddie on the course. They would be paid at the following rates per round: 1st class 8 pence, 2nd class 6 pence.

In 1907 a new lease was negotiated with Lord Howard, and the course was further extended within the farm, paving the way for the present basic course layout to be established. “The Snake” hole was a six (now a four, stroke index 1). During the 1914-18 War the new extended land was ploughed for wartime cultivation and in 1919 subscriptions had to be raised to restore the new two holes – Men was raised to £2.12s.6p, Ladies to 25 shillings. In 1924 the Estate of Lord Howard was sold and in 1925 the new deeds were signed; Woodcock Farm, with its 46 acres, became the property of Glossop & District Golf Club.

At the time of the Club celebrating its Golden Jubilee it had 5 Major Trophies and the oldest and hardest fought was the Abraham Cup which, apart from 1917, had been played for every year. At the time of the Club’s Golden Jubilee, the course measured 5,428 yards and there was no difference between the first or second nine. For many years the course record was held by Walter Fitton with a 67 in 1936. Walter was Professional from 1929 to 1959. The post war era of the 1950s and early ’60s was probably the period which saw the greatest development in the history of the Club to date. Men who had returned from the war were queuing up to become members, and as the numbers increased, the need for overall improvements became apparent, including a new clubhouse and a new 3rd tee. These improvements were to take a decade of fund raising, planning and building.

In the 1970's under the Greens supervision of Roy Hardy, the course had several major changes made to it. New greens were added at the 5th & 6th holes, over 300 trees were planted and new tees were built to make the second nine a different test of the golf from the front nine. During the ’80s the club purchased land at the rear of the club which became our practice area. In 1994 the Club celebrated its Centenary and held several majors events. In 1995 two new stone bridges were built at the 1st and 9th Holes but, unfortunately, these were destroyed in the major floods of July 31st, 2002 when significant damage was done to the course and the town. 2010 marked a year of major investment in the Club with major changes being made to modernise the club house.

  • 2023-12-10
  • 2023-12-11
  • 2023-12-12
  • 2023-12-13
  • 2023-12-14
Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.
Book a Tee Time
Ready to book?

Our booking system will make it easy for you.
Course Status
Currently open
06.12.2023 07:07
View Status
With the following restrictions: Winter local rules now in play. Mats must be used on cut areas(fairways and semi, not known rough areas) No 2 seater buggies